Perfect and complete meal choices for summer days. These salads are packed with everything you need. Full of flavor, plus great for your health.
- Quinoa and spinach salad
- -2 cups water
- -1 cup uncooked quinoa
- -1/2 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, chopped
- -6 hard boiled eggs
- -1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- -1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- -1 1/4 cups ranch dressing
- Bring water and quinoa to boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Toss quinoa, spinach, hard-boiled eggs, walnuts, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl until combined. Top with ranch dressing
- Shrimp Avocado Pasta Salad
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked whole wheat pasta
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain. Rinse under cold running water to cool.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the pasta, shrimp, avocados, light mayonnaise, lemon juice, tomatoes, and red pepper. Serve over lettuce.
- Mexican Brown Rice Salad
- -2 ears corn, husked
- -1 cup cooked rice
- -2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- -1 red bell pepper
- -1 bunch green onions, sliced
- -1 small jalapeno, seeds and rib removed, diced
- -3 tbsp olive oil
- -juice of 1 lime
- -1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- -3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush corn with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 5-6 minutes, rotating on all sides until the corn has some nice charred spots. Let cool and remove corn kernels from the cob.
- Add corn, brown rice, beans, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and green onions to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Fold dressing into the veggies.
- Chicken-Garbanzo Salad
- 1 (9-ounce) package cooked chopped chicken breast
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber (small)
- 1/2 chopped green onions (about 4 small)
- 1/2 chopped fresh mint or basil
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups prepackaged baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup (1.3 ounces) feta cheese
- 4 lemon wedges
- Combine first 8 ingredients, toss gently. Gently fold in spinach leaves and feta cheese. Serve salad with lemon wedges.
- Kale and bulgur tabbouleh with yogurt dressing
- 150 g bulgur wheat
- 2 eggs
- 60 g baby kale, roughly chopped
- 20 g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 50 g pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
For the dressing:
- 100 ml 0% fat Greek yogurt
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1/4 garlic clove, crushed
- Put the bulgur in a medium bowl and pour over 125 ml boiling water. Mix well, cover the bowl with cling film and leave for 10-15 minutes until al dente.
- Bring pan of water to the boil and add the eggs. Cook for 6 minutes, and then place in cold water until cool. Peel and cut in half. Put the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender with 2 tbsp water and some salt. Blend until smooth.
- Break up the bulgur with a fork and add the remaining ingredients, expect the eggs. Toss with dressing, and then top with the eggs to serve.